Monday, November 9, 2009

I've found my calling card

After working on the castle, I've started to play around with Level editors. Have done so in the past with games like Doom. Textures and 3D creation is nice, but my heart has always been with environment/game level design. Currently I took up the Hammer editor from Valve Software and starting to create a campaign for the game "Left 4 Dead". First map takes place in a call center in a skyscraper, which I reference from a building I use to work as a fellow QA Tester. After sketching out a 2D map, I've started placing out the geometry of the level. The props are being used to help me scale the map, which I don't want it to be either too big or too small when the player starts to move around.














Focus at this time is the geometry and closing it off. I don't like half done work, so heavy testing is done to ensure there are no sink holes in the map. Once that is done, NAV points will be added for the survivor bots and the Horde infected. Final phase, textures and polish. Most important, making sure the map is fun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment